- Kheer Package from our Spices section
- 3/4 liter organic whole milk
- 2 to 3 tbsp sugar
- Mixed nuts: almonds, cashews, pistachios and etc.
- 1 tbsp golden raisins
- Soak rice with water for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat milk in sauce pane until boil then reduce the heat.
- Drain the rice and add it to the milk.
- Stir and simmer the milk until the rice is soft. It takes around 30 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking. Crush the nuts in a plastic bag with a kneading pin.
- Crack open the cardamom, finely grind the seeds with mortar-pestle.
- When the rice is soft, add in nuts, cardamom powder and saffron.
- Continue to cook on low heat until the mixture is thicken.
- Add raisins right before turning off the stove.
- You can serve the kheer hot or cold. I personally like cold one better.
- I don’t normally rinse my rice. Especially the extra starch coated the rice grain will help kheer reach its thick consistency faster. But if you are concerned the rice maybe dirty or calc maybe used during the process, please rinse your rice well under running water.
- Socking the rice in water before cooking will help preserve its flavor also lessen the cook time.
- Ground cardamom lose its flavor quickly, so it is recommended to use cardamom pods and grind them before cooking.
- I did cut down the sugar in this recipe compare with others , you can add more base on your own taste.
- I use whatever nuts available around the house when I cook this recipe. Didn’t bother to peel the almond or walnut. You may not get the cream white color for your kheer, but it taste just as good and plus extra vitamin from the peel.